Calendar 2007–08

130 Part 3 • Academic Units and University Extensions Part 3 U niversity Extensions International Asian Studies Programme In keeping with the University’s distinctive educational mission of promoting cultural exchange between East and West, an International Asian Studies Programme (IASP) was launched at the University in 1977 with the support of the Yale–ChinaAssociation. This programme is open to students from outside of Hong Kong who wish to take advantage of the University’s academic resources and research facilities to develop knowledge in Chinese, Asian and International Studies, further studies in their academic discipline in the context of Hong Kong, mainland China and the rest of Asia, and learn Chinese. The IASP is fully integrated into the regular structure of the University. Participants take the regular courses with local students in the faculties of Arts, Business Administration, Education, Engineering, Science, and Social Science. The IASP offers selected courses in Asian, Chinese and International Studies taught in English for the benefit of both programme participants and local students. Participants may take special language courses in Cantonese and Putonghua which are taught through the NewAsia--Yale-in-China Chinese Language Centre. Many opportunities are provided to participants to experience Chinese culture. They include sharing dormitory with local students, thematic field trips, excursions, and language table, just to name a few. There are two categories of participants: (1) associate undergraduate students taking a full load (12–18 units per term) of university courses; and (2) associate postgraduate students taking either (a) a full load (12–18 units per term) of university courses, or (b) conducting a research and taking a minimum course load of three units. Students may participate in IASP for one term, one academic year, or during the summer. Previous coursework on Chinese language or Asian studies is not required for admission, but undergraduate applicants must have normally completed at least two terms of university study and graduate applicants must hold a recognized bachelor’s degree. Participants may come as exchange students or study abroad students. Exchange students are those who are sent by institutions which have formal