Information Services Office   19.9.2011

383

 
Newsletter No. 383 > Campus News > Colleges > Lee Woo Sing Students Get a Taste of Poverty

Lee Woo Sing Students Get a Taste of Poverty

previouspausenext

Lau Chun-wun Marten, a freshman of Lee Woo Sing College, said, ‘We were made aware that hunger is not just some news photos. It is a reality faced by many who are supposedly created equal to us.’ This was what he felt after taking part in the Rich and Poor Men’s Banquet at the College orientation camp on 26 August. Facilitated by World Vision Hong Kong, the banquet was attended by Prof. Joseph J.Y. Sung, CUHK Vice-Chancellor, and 300 teachers and students of the College. 


To reflect the fact that 95% of the world population live in poverty, participants of the banquet were divided into two groups—95% of them consumed bread and water for their meals, while the other 5% ate pizzas.


Professor Sung, who belonged to the first group, said, 'The University hopes its students will pay more attention to global food shortages and rethink their lifestyles—is it necessary for them to live a lavish luxury life with sumptuous meals, or they can do their bit to avoid wasting Earth’s resources?’

Back Issues

Latest 10 issues

2010s

2000s

2009–10

2008–09

2007–08

2006–07

2005–06

2004–05

2003–04

2002–03

2001–02

2000–01

1990s

1980s

Social Bookmarks

twitter   facebook   Google   Baidu   qq